OSB sheets: thickness and dimensions, prices, technical characteristics
OSB sheets are widely used in construction for the construction of partitions, crates under the roof, during the installation of walls, as well as for cladding and packaging of other materials. In terms of technical characteristics, they are significantly superior to the already familiar chipboard and fiberboard. Choosing and buying OSB sheets: thickness and dimensions, prices are decisive factors. Familiarity with the classification, characteristics of each group of products and their areas of application will help you to purchase suitable materials.
Classification of OSB sheets and methods of their production
The abbreviation OSB stands for “oriented chipboard”. The material for its manufacture is wood shavings or chips. During the production process, several layers of such chips are pressed in mutually perpendicular directions. For this purpose, a special polymer material based on resin and other binding additives is added.
Depending on the intricacies of manufacturing, the properties obtained and the purpose of the resulting OSB, they can be divided into four groups:
It is worth noting that about 90% of all products on the market are occupied by OSB-3 plates. Since it is these sheets that have the most versatile characteristics that allow them to be used in a wide range of work, including the construction of low-rise buildings.
Thickness and dimensions of the plywood sheet: prices, varieties and applications. Production features, characteristics, main types, advantages and disadvantages. Overview of the building materials market.
Characteristics and standard sizes of OSB sheets
In the post-Soviet countries, this material has been used relatively recently, but in the USA and Europe OSB plates are widely used in construction due to a number of unique properties:
- convenient sizes of plates. Standard parameters 1,22×2,44 m;
- ease of application and processing. OSB sheets are perfectly amenable to mechanical influences, such as sawing. With the help of a manual or electric tool, you can easily cut off the necessary part smoothly, avoiding the appearance of cracks or chips, and obtaining the desired size of the OSB sheet;
- the strength of the material. Oriented chipboard can withstand significant loads. At the same time, their rigidity allows mounting any fasteners in them, for example, nails, screws, self-tapping screws. Due to this, they are easily connected to each other, forming a solid structure. According to this indicator, OSB plates are not inferior even to a massive wooden board;
- light finish. After finishing the installation work, the plates can simply be painted or used for finishing any facing materials;
Useful advice! Before applying plaster to OSB plates, it is necessary to eliminate all external defects on the surface and thoroughly prime the entire plane.
- light weight. With a standard size of 9 mm OSB sheet, the weight of the plate is only 18 kg. This makes it easy to transport the material and lift it to any required height.;
- low cost. OSB slabs are inexpensive building material, the price per square meter is on average 150 rubles.
Areas of application of oriented chipboard
The above-mentioned properties of this type of building material make it applicable in many fields of work. OSB plates are used not only for the construction of buildings, but also in the production of furniture and packaging containers, as well as for finishing the interior of trucks, ships and trains.
Types of work that consumes the largest number of OSB plates produced:
- installation of ceilings and partitions, construction of both internal and external walls in low-rise buildings. For this purpose, plates of the second and third class with a thickness of 9 to 12 mm are used. Such panels can be installed both vertically and horizontally;
- floor finishing. In this case, the plate is laid perpendicular to the special logs that serve as the basis. For this purpose, plates of greater thickness are used – 18-22 mm, which allows for additional heat and waterproofing;
- solid roof sheathing. Moisture-resistant OSB-3 sheets are best suited for this in size and thickness. The price and quality meet all the necessary requirements. From above, you can arrange a roof made of slate, metal tiles or rolled materials;
- construction of temporary fences. The moisture resistance of OSB-3 group plates allows them to be used for the arrangement of fences or protective structures.
Useful advice! If you plan to sheathe the walls with the help of OSB plates, then you must first correctly install special metal profiles that will serve as the basis for fastening. In this case, the pitch of the lags or crate should be no more than 400 mm.
We choose OSB sheets: thickness and sizes, prices
Having decided on the purposes for which the plates will be used, you can proceed to choosing the thickness and size of the OSB sheets. The price will depend not only on these indicators, but also on the chosen manufacturer. To date, the price for a sheet of OSB 3 and a size of 2440x1200x9 mm ranges from 500-650 rubles per piece. The cost of a thicker sheet is higher, and the price of an OSB plate with a size of 1250x2500x18 mm will be about 1000 rubles per piece.
Therefore, it is not necessary to purchase plates of a higher class than necessary. This will lead to financial costs that are not necessary. It is better to take the OSB plywood suitable in size, price and thickness of the sheet, recommended for this type of work from a more well-known manufacturer.
Useful advice! If you are a layman in the construction business, it is better to buy plates of standard sizes. This will make it easier for you to count the right amount. And where it will be necessary, you can always additionally cut the sheets. In addition, most of the instructions that are given on the Internet are focused on standard sizes of plates.
Having familiarized yourself with the proposed range of sizes and prices of OSB plates, you will see that this is an inexpensive and versatile building material that allows you to easily perform a lot of various works. And with all this, such sheets are safe for the environment and your health.