Hallway design in a private house: photo ideas for creating an original interior
The hallway is one of the most important rooms, because it creates the first impression and gives guests a sense of well–being in the house. But if the appearance of the hallway is mainly important for guests, its functionality is much more important for the owners. Every day, going out and coming back, they cannot pass this small but important part of their home. How to equip your hallway so as to perfectly combine beauty and functionality, aesthetics and comfort? The article “Hallway design in a private house: photo ideas for creating an original interior” will become your assistant at all stages of arrangement.
Hallway design in a private house: photos for inspiration
Repairs in the hallway, as a rule, are done last, when all the other rooms already have a finished image, and you can evaluate the result. When planning repairs for the corridor, it is important to build on the existing interior of the rest of the house and maintain everything in the same style. Or you can go from the opposite and make the hallway a special part of the house – unlike any other part of it. It all depends on the preferences and capabilities of the owners.
When starting to design a corridor in a private house, first of all, it is necessary to determine what functions this part of the house should carry. First, answer a few questions:
- do you plan to store things in the hallway that you are not wearing at the moment, or is there a separate pantry for this? Photos of repairs in the hallway will help to create an unusual, original design on a small area. It is more difficult to work with a narrow corridor, but it is also quite possible;
- how many seats do you need? It depends on the number of household members who live with you;
- do the dimensions of the hallway allow it to accommodate the functional load that you are planning? If the corridor is narrow, the renovation in the hallway should correspond to the realities.
By answering these questions, you will get an approximate picture of what your hallway should look like. After that, you can safely proceed to the selection of finishing materials and furniture.
Photos of entrance doors to a private house made of various materials. Types of entrance doors to a private house: features, advantages and disadvantages. Security classes of entrance doors. How to choose a reliable door.
The choice of finishing material for walls
It is important to understand that the walls in the corridor are significantly exposed to moisture, dirt and mechanical damage. After all, no matter how hard you try, in rainy weather, water drops will fall on the wall from shoes or umbrellas, and metal parts of shoes and outerwear can scratch the walls. Therefore, when choosing a finishing material for walls, consider the need to quickly and easily clean the walls from dirt and water.
Special attention should be paid to this issue if pets live with you. It is they who often bring most of the dirt into the hallway, soiling not only the floor, but also the walls.
Experts do not recommend choosing textile or paper wallpaper, even if they are high-quality and beautiful. It is better to give preference to washable options that are not exposed to moisture. At the same time, pay attention that caring for them does not require the use of specialized tools – this will create additional hassle during cleaning.
The most popular options for wall decoration in the corridor and hallway (photos of real interiors confirm this):
- vinyl wallpaper is a great option for decorating the hallway. The main advantage of this type of paper wallpaper is that they can be safely washed without fear of damage. Vinyl wallpaper has a limitless palette of colors, and they can easily be pasted on their own. The affordable price only emphasizes all the advantages of this type of wall covering;
- liquid wallpaper is a relatively new, but very modern type of wall decoration. Due to its properties, such wallpaper is very convenient to design various structures – arches, niches, etc. After application, the liquid wallpaper is varnished, and in the future any dirt is easily removed with water and a rag. For clarity, you can find thematic photos on the Internet. Wallpaper for the corridor, which is easy to clean and restored, is a great find for any hostess;
Useful advice! Liquid wallpaper is a great option for decorating the hallway. In case of contamination of the wall, you can easily apply a new layer of such wallpaper to the damaged area.
- paint is a good and inexpensive option for finishing the hallway, but only if the walls in the corridor are perfectly smooth. If the walls initially have flaws, you will probably have to spend a significant amount of time and effort on leveling the walls and preparing them for painting;
- decorative plaster is a simple and reliable type of wall decoration. Such plaster is easy to apply and subsequently unpretentious in care;
- MDF and PVC panels are a quick and inexpensive way to decorate the walls in the hallway yourself. The panels are divided into three types: sheet, rack-and-pinion and tile square. Any type of these panels is suitable for the design of the hallway. The only thing you should pay attention to is the degree of moisture resistance of the panel that you have chosen.
It is not uncommon now to combine materials for wall decoration. MDF and PVC panels are used to decorate the lower half of the wall. The upper half is plastered, painted or wallpapered. Photos of the combined design for the corridor perfectly demonstrate the advantages of such a combination.
You can also use decorative stone for finishing the corridor (photos showing this type of decoration are very popular on the Internet).
The floors in the hallway experience a huge load every day, because it is in the corridor that bags, shoes, bicycles, scooters, rollers are left. When choosing a floor covering, it is important to understand how much the floor in the hallway is susceptible to mechanical damage. As a floor covering, you need to choose a durable and damage-free material that can be easily cared for.
Popular flooring options
The most popular and practical floor coverings for the hallway today:
- linoleum is certainly the leader of our country among floor coverings. Due to its affordable price, as well as ease of care, linoleum is considered the best option for decorating the floor in the corridor. And photos of the design of corridors in houses confirm this. However, when choosing linoleum for your hallway, it is important to pay attention to its density and thickness. Too thin (the so-called household linoleum) will not work because of its susceptibility to mechanical damage;
- laminate is a perfectly acceptable option for finishing the floor in the hallway, but it requires special attention when choosing. It is necessary to pay attention to the wear resistance and moisture resistance of the selected option. These indicators should be maximum. Be sure to use a moisture-resistant grout at the joints to avoid moisture getting between the laminate elements. High–quality laminate is a very beautiful option for creating a hallway design in the house. The photos display it well;
- tile is a reliable and durable way of finishing floors. Porcelain stoneware is most often preferred, since this option is stronger than ordinary tiles and, moreover, is not susceptible to slipping. If we talk about stone tiles, then this is a very expensive material. But at the same time it is very durable and looks great in the interior.
As on the walls, a combined finish can be used on the floor. Tile is placed in the most loaded part of the hallway, and then laminate or linoleum is optional.
Useful advice! Do not skimp on finishing materials for the hallway, otherwise you risk facing the fact that the walls and floor will very quickly lose their original appearance, reducing your efforts to create an interior to zero.
Selection of materials for finishing the ceiling in the hallway
Types of ceilings in the hallway:
- the stretch ceiling has a smooth, smooth surface that looks great and at the same time is easy to care for. The only difficulty you will have to face when choosing a stretch ceiling is a complex installation process. This will require professionals and special equipment. Without this, the installation of a stretch ceiling is impossible. But if you are willing to spend time and effort on this, then such a ceiling will be an excellent interior solution for your hallway;
- a suspended ceiling is a structure decorated with plastic panels or drywall. A suspended ceiling is an excellent platform for creating a multi–level structure with built-in lighting. But it is worth noting that such structures take up space, and each level will “eat” at least 10 cm of ceiling height. This may become an obstacle to its use in creating a long corridor design. It is important to remember that, unlike plastic panels, drywall needs further processing, and you have to glue, plaster or paint it;
- finishing the ceiling is a number of possible ways of decoration using the following materials: paint, wallpaper, decorative plaster, whitewash, ceiling tiles.
If you plan to use paint or whitewash to finish the ceiling, make sure that the ceiling surface is prepared and smooth. It is quite possible to repair the hallway with your own hands. The interior design photos presented in the article are a vivid confirmation of this.
Choosing the color palette of the hallway interior
When choosing a color palette for the decoration of the corridor and hallway (a photo selection of vivid examples of the interior will help in choosing) there are no mandatory conditions. The only thing that matters is whether you like the chosen color. After all, it is you who will have to enter your house and leave it through the hallway every day.
Some prefer calm shades, which they associate with peace and comfort. And someone on the contrary wants to see bright, cheerful colors in their hallway. Whichever option you choose, try to make the interior of the corridor at least a little similar to the renovation in the other rooms. This will contribute to a sense of integrity emanating from the house. On the Internet you can find photos of the design of corridors in a private house.
Useful advice! If the goal is to visually enlarge the space, use glossy materials for finishing. In a fairly spacious hallway, on the contrary, it is better to use matte surfaces.
Also note that the walls should be at least a few shades lighter than the floors, but darker than the ceiling. This will help to visually expand the room and create a sense of space. Here are some excellent examples of corridor decoration (photos show how advantageous this combination of shades looks).
The black-and-white interior looks incredibly organic in the hallway. If you choose the right materials, then taking care of white decorative elements will not be difficult.
If you are an adherent of bright and cheerful tones, then the hallway is the place where you can realize your wildest desires. Bright decorative elements will give a festive mood for the whole day.
Storage systems are the first thing we think about when we start furnishing the hallway. How and where will our clothes, shoes and accessories be stored?
Storage systems made of unpainted wood are a common option for hallways in a private or country house. Such a headset is very roomy and can be used not only for clothes and shoes of the current season, but also to store all the outerwear of an average-sized family. Storage systems can be used even in the design of a small hallway in a private house. You can see photos of the most popular wood storage systems on the pages of online catalogs.
The corner system is a great opportunity to use all possible space for storing things. This option is great for hallways with a small area. In the lower part of the structure, you can make shelves for shoes (or use drawers), above them – equip a seat. This will help to use the space as efficiently as possible.
If there is not enough space in the hallway, give preference to the white color of the headset. No matter how impressive its dimensions are, thanks to the white color, the furniture will not look so heavy. These techniques are also used for narrow corridors (photos of hallways, designed taking into account these tips, perfectly demonstrate their effectiveness).
Storage systems made in dark colors are allowed only in houses where the hallway occupies an impressive area. In this case, the color and size of the headset can be any. If you decide to give preference to dark furniture, it is better to make the walls light. The floor should be in harmony with the furniture.
Seat space and other elements
The hallway is a room where you have to put on and take off your shoes every day. And, of course, it is much more comfortable to do this while sitting in a specially designated place. For this purpose, a special pouf or a small bench can be purchased. It is also possible to have a seat built into the headset. The main thing is that it should be located at a convenient height.
A chest of drawers or a cabinet are frequent elements of the hallway furniture in a private house, which are convenient to use for storing things. Accessories or small decorative elements can be placed on the surface of the cabinet or chest of drawers. These pieces of furniture significantly diversify the design of the corridor in a private house (you can see photo examples on various websites).
The hanger is a universal solution for a modest–sized hallway. If you do not have space for large furniture, a hanger will completely replace it in the matter of placing outerwear. Of course, a hanger does not make it possible to store clothes that you do not wear, but, nevertheless, for a small hallway it is a great option.
Even in a private house, the hallway is rarely large. Therefore, the decorative elements used for its design should carry a functional load. On the Internet, you can find many interesting options on the design of the hallway in the house, photo ideas will become a source of inspiration for choosing decor elements.
A mirror is an element of decor that no hallway can do without. After all, the last preparations before going outside take place in the hallway. To make sure that today you are simply irresistible, a mirror will help you. But, in addition, a properly selected mirror significantly decorates the interior of the hallway. In the case when it is necessary to visually expand the space, the mirror will also be the best assistant in creating the design of the hallway in a private house. Photos of the original solutions can be seen on the Internet.
Useful advice! If you place a picture or other decorative element in front of the mirror, it will create a sense of spaciousness and perspective. You can visually increase the space in the corridor not only with the help of mirrors, but also using photo wallpapers.
A stand or basket for umbrellas can also be an excellent element of the hallway decor. Such a small element, in the right color, will decorate and diversify the interior of the hallway in a private house. Photos serve as an example. In addition, thanks to this decorative element, an umbrella will always be at hand on a rainy day.
Textile elements and carpeting. If there is a window in the hallway, then draping it with tulle (curtains) also requires attention. When purchasing curtains, curtains or blinds, it is better to give preference to products made of materials that are easy to care for. Bamboo or metal blinds are the best option in this case. The same principle is used for the selection of carpets.
Useful advice! Think over the little things – everything should be convenient. Go to the mirror, take an umbrella and other simple actions will have to be performed often. Plan ahead so that it is convenient for you and does not cause discomfort.
If the hallway in the house is spacious enough, pots of flowers will perfectly decorate it. Flowers in bright, original pots will give a feeling of cleanliness and freshness.
The lighting in the hallway depends primarily on which finish is chosen for the ceiling. If the ceiling is hinged, then the built-in lighting system will be an excellent solution to the issue. Definitely, the hallway should be brightly lit. If the corridor has modest dimensions, it is better to avoid bulky ceiling lights – they greatly steal space. In this case, it is better to use multi-level lighting and wall lamps.
Large vintage chandeliers in the hallway are allowed only if there is a significant area of the corridor and sufficiently high ceilings.
Lighting is an important point in the repair process in the corridor. Photo ideas from the Internet can serve as inspiration for you.
Useful advice! If you have to make repairs in a narrow corridor, direct the lighting in one direction. This will help to visually expand the space.
When making repairs in the hallway, you should take into account all the functional features of this part of the house. The functionality of the corridor is the main guideline in creating a design, but do not forget about the flight of imagination.
We hope that the article “Hallway design in a private house” and photo illustrations will become your assistant in creating your unique interior. After all, only focusing on your own preferences, while taking into account the advice of experts, you can create a truly stylish interior that will delight in appearance and functionality every day.