Decorative roller for walls: features of using a painting tool
To create an original interior, and in particular, a decorative wall covering, you can use a variety of tools, among which a decorative roller for walls is far from the last place. This is one of the easiest ways to paint a wall without resorting to complex and expensive technologies. Let’s look at what you should pay attention to in the process of choosing and using this tool.
Decorative roller for walls: what is it, and how does it work
The main task of the roller is to give the wall or ceiling surface the desired color and texture. It can be used to work with absolutely any paint, although sometimes it is also used for plaster, thus giving it a certain texture. But before you purchase a particular model, you should familiarize yourself with the general device of this tool.
Components of a painting or decorative roller:
Such a simple, but at the same time thoughtful design allows you to significantly increase the productivity and speed of coloring, as well as reduces paint consumption. In addition, there are practically no streaks and splashes formed during the work, and the quality of painting the wall is many times higher than what can be achieved using a conventional paint brush.
Important! Much depends on the quality of the purchased roller. But if earlier all products of this type were checked for compliance with GOST standards, today you can find almost any quality models on sale. That is why in the selection process you need to be as attentive as possible and pay attention not only to the appearance of the tool, but also to the OKPD 2 of the paint roller.
What are the sizes of the paint roller
The purpose and size of the roller are characteristics that are directly related to each other, since the convenience of work in each case depends on the right choice. For example, if it is necessary to paint a large flat surface, it would be wiser to use a roller, the working part of which is as wide as possible. But a small tool is better suited for working with corners. So, there are the following sizes of rollers for decorative wall painting:
- mini rollers. With their help, it is extremely convenient to work on small areas and with complex surfaces. The diameter of the roller in this case does not exceed 15 cm, and the width of the working surface is usually no more than 150 cm;
- midi rollers. This tool has a slightly larger working surface size (from 150 to 250 mm). The diameter of the roller can be from 50 to 90 mm. Such rollers are considered universal, as they are excellent for most jobs and are quite convenient to use. They are purchased more often than others;
- facade rollers. These are the largest and widest tools, the working surface of which exceeds 250 mm. The diameter of the roller can reach 80 mm. Such rollers are considered professional, and are almost never used in everyday life. Moreover, in order to work with such a tool, you need to have certain skills and some experience.
It is necessary to choose a roller by size taking into account the individual capabilities and experience of the master, as well as the characteristics of the surface to be worked with. At the same time, the midi roller almost always fits perfectly and copes with all the tasks without any problems.
Useful advice! The larger the working surface of the roller, the more paint it is able to absorb. Therefore, you should not choose too large models, as some difficulties may arise in the process of work, and you will get tired quickly.
What kind of decorative roller for walls to buy: varieties of fur coats
A fur coat is perhaps the most important criterion for choosing a roller for painting walls and ceilings. After all, the final result and the appearance of the surface depend on this. Therefore, it is worth considering what kind of roller coats are:
- rubber rollers are made of soft or hard rubber. Often such tools have a pronounced texture and are used to give relief to plaster, as well as to apply a pattern to wallpaper or a painted surface.
- polyamide is made of synthetic fiber, which is characterized by extremely high wear resistance. At the same time, on sale you can find options with different pile lengths, which can range from 8 to 20 mm. These rollers are ideal for working with water-dispersion paints;
- a fur coat made of natural fur, which most often happens to be sheepskin. This option is also ideal for working with water-dispersion paint, as well as with oil and various lacquer compositions. Obviously, the price of a paint roller with such a fur coat will be higher than all the others;
- a velour roller is usually used if it is necessary to apply a finishing coat of coating. Alkyd enamels and oil paints are best suited for this purpose;
- polyacrylic paint roller is similar to polyamide. It is characterized by high resistance to the effects of aggressive components of the composition, and therefore is suitable for working with any paints;
- foam rubber is another material widely used for the manufacture of rollers. But in the process of working with it, you need to be careful, and among all the compositions it is suitable only for water-dispersion paints. In the process of painting the surface, it is not necessary to exert too much pressure, as this can cause the appearance of streaks. But the speed of work with such models is several times higher than all other options;
- terry rollers are made of polyester, which is the cheapest raw material. The price of a paint roller per piece in this case can be from 60 rubles, but it is not necessary to count on a long service life of such a tool. Therefore, usually such rollers are used once or twice to work with water-dispersion or acrylic paint, and then simply thrown away;
- a short–haired or flocked roller is the best option if you have to work with a waterborne varnish. But you need to know in advance that it is strictly forbidden to use such rollers to work with water-based paint.
Each of the types has its own advantages and disadvantages, so before buying a roller for decorative plaster or wall painting, it is necessary to take into account the features of each model.
Useful advice! Nevertheless, the most durable and reliable fur coats can be called synthetic origin, that is, polyamide and polyacrylic, since they are characterized by the greatest resistance to aggressive substances.
What else are rollers: special types of tools
In addition to the standard rollers, the types and characteristics of which have been listed, there are several more unusual types, the use of which is resorted to only in special cases. So, there are such types:
- corner rollers. This device is a small wheel, the working part of which is quite narrow. Usually polyamide, polyacrylic or velour is used as a material. This simple device allows you to paint as accurately as possible, even in the most inaccessible places, which simply cannot be reached with a conventional roller;
- needle rollers. In this case, the working surface of the product is covered with rubberized spikes designed to eliminate air bubbles, which often remain between several layers of paint. Most often, this tool is necessary in the case of working with viscous paints;
- structural rollers for decorative plaster or paint. The variety of such models is really great, and thanks to such a tool, a variety of effects can be created on the surface;
- rollers for pipes. Most of all, they resemble large scissors, since the clasp is equipped with two rotating spokes on which two rollers are attached. In this case, the size of the tool is selected in accordance with the diameter of the painted pipe.
Textured rollers for decorative plaster and wall painting
Textured roller for decorative plaster or wall surface painting is a special kind of tool, which is represented by a wide variety. You can buy it ready-made or make it yourself, using an old roller and improvised materials as a basis.
Paint for walls in an apartment: properties, types and recommendations for use
Advantages and disadvantages, varieties and features of coloring compounds, prices. The choice of the dye and the optimal color scheme.
A textured roller is a great way to decorate the surface without resorting to too complex and expensive technologies. And in order to make sure how unusual and beautiful the effect of using a textured roller for painting walls can be, it is enough to look at the photo examples presented on the Internet.
How to choose the right roller for painting the ceiling and walls: expert advice
A huge selection of different rollers can confuse almost anyone. So in order not to make a mistake in choosing, you should once again pay attention to all important aspects and follow the following recommendations of specialists:
- before you buy a roller, check it right in the store. To do this, squeeze the fur coat with effort and evaluate the deformation. If the fur coat is too much crumpled, then it is better not to buy such a roller;
- when buying a roller with a long pile, the fur coat must be inspected beforehand to make sure that the fibers do not fall out. Otherwise, you will have to face hairs on the surface of the painted wall or ceiling.;
- if you are not sure which roller is suitable for which paint, it is best to give preference to a universal option, which is, for example, polyamide rollers;
- if you have to paint the walls in an apartment, then a roller with a short handle will be quite enough. But if you pay attention to how to properly paint the ceiling with a roller, you can see that there are special telescopic handles for this;
- the roller clasp should not be too soft, as this can cause deformation, which in turn will affect the quality of the surface painting and the duration of the tool’s service life.
Observing these simple but extremely important recommendations, you can purchase a high-quality roller that will allow you to make a high-quality surface coating, while spending a minimum amount of time and effort.
Useful advice! If it is necessary to work with several colors at once, it is not necessary to purchase several rollers. It is much easier to buy additional fur coats that can be changed on the roller if necessary. In addition, this way you can save significantly.
How to paint walls with a roller: the correct paint application technology
Choosing and purchasing a high–quality tool is not all. It is equally important to figure out how to paint walls with a roller, and what rules you need to adhere to so that the result meets your expectations.
How to paint correctly with a roller is a question that at first glance may seem strange and even inappropriate. After all, given the simplicity of the design, it may seem that it is almost impossible to make a mistake in the process of work. In fact, there are several subtleties that must be taken into account in order to make the surface perfect in the end.
First of all, it is necessary to pour the paint into a specially designed bath, the size of which will allow you to freely dip the roller into it. In this container, special corrugations are provided, along which the roller needs to be rolled so that the paint is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the fur coat. You need to do this several times.
After that, you can start painting, however, you first need to decide on the scheme of painting the room. Usually they start from the corner of the room that is located near the window.
Another important aspect that many experts pay attention to is how to properly paint the walls with a roller without traces. According to professionals, it is enough to adhere to the following rules:
- the pressure on the roller should not be too strong;
- when using a textured roller, the second coat of paint must be applied only when the base is completely dry;
- when fully painted, the presence of gaps and poorly painted areas should not be allowed;
- every movement should be performed smoothly;
- the roller should be evenly carried out in the direction from bottom to top, and then back;
- ideally, the movement should be directed slightly diagonally away from itself.
Useful advice! Video can be a great helper in your work. How to paint walls with a roller without streaks can be seen in the corresponding training video, where all the subtleties and nuances of this work are clearly revealed.
How to paint the ceiling with a roller: features of work and recommendations of specialists
Particular attention should be paid to the technology of painting the ceiling, since it is somewhat more difficult to work with such a surface. Many people are interested in what kind of roller to paint the ceiling, and here it is worth paying attention to such aspects:
- the rougher the surface of the ceiling, the longer the pile of the roller coat should be;
- to paint the ceiling, it is best to use a roller, the length of the rod of which is approximately 25-40 cm;
- if there is a seam on the fur coat, stripes will remain on the painted surface, which is not very good if you are trying to make the surface smooth and beautiful.
Otherwise, you can make a choice based on the standard types and sizes of paint rollers, using all the same guidelines as when choosing a tool for painting the wall surface.
Tricks of painting the ceiling with a roller: video instructions for beginners
You can learn all the subtleties of painting the ceiling with a roller by watching the corresponding video, which clearly demonstrates each stage of the work.