Chipboard tongue-and-groove moisture-resistant: a new development in the building materials market
The production of new building materials does not stand still. Every year the manufacturer increases and improves the range of its products. Not so long ago, moisture-resistant chipboard appeared on the market of building materials. This material has a high degree of resistance to moisture. Its peculiar design allows it to be used in various fields. The main characteristics and applications of the material can be found in this article.
What is chipboard tongue-and-groove moisture-resistant
Chipboard with sheet piling is obtained as a result of hot-pressed wood chips mixed with thermosetting resins. Due to the layered structure, this material is resistant to deformation changes as a result of temperature and humidity changes.
The thickness of chipboard sheets with tongue and groove can be 12-22 mm. For easy installation of plates, which is carried out by a spike-groove, each end side of the chipboard has a cut tongue-and-groove connection: two ridges and two grooves. The plates fit smoothly and tightly to each other. This design allows you to perform the installation of plates without tools and special skills.
The composition of the tongue-and-groove chipboard includes water-resistant polymers that give the finished product a large coefficient of moisture resistance. This allows the use of plates in unheated rooms with high humidity (loggias, balconies, cabins, warehouses). This material can be used as a base for future tile tiles in bathrooms, but subject to the use of special glue and grout for inter-tile seams.
Moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard has high strength characteristics (bending, bending, stretching). This makes it possible to use tongue-and-groove chipboard for the floor. The plates installed on the logs are able to withstand a high load without creaking and without bending over the entire area.
Useful advice! For the installation of a floor area of less than 100 m2 of chipboard with tongue and groove, it is not necessary to leave technical gaps between the plates.
Tongue-in-cheek chipboard for the floor is characterized as moisture-resistant laminated chipboard.
The price of a laminated chipboard sheet with dimensions and thickness of 1200x900x16 mm is 680 rubles, and the cost of chipboard 1830x600x16 uncoated is 335 rubles.
Advantages of chipboard with tongue and groove
The main advantages of tongue-and-groove chipboard:
Areas of application of tongue-and-groove moisture-resistant chipboard
Experts identify several main areas of application of moisture-resistant chipboard with tongue and groove:
- moisture-resistant chipboard for the floor is most in demand. With its help, a false floor, a “floating” floor, a dry screed of a prefabricated type, which has compartments for insulation, can be mounted without the use of water-based mixtures for pouring;
Useful advice! For the construction of treadmills, tennis courts, podiums and other structures requiring reinforcement, moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard is successfully used.
- moisture-resistant plates are ideal for leveling wall surfaces. They are safely used as a basis for subsequent finishing (decorative plaster, wallpaper, lining, plastic). Chipboard panels, having heat and sound insulation properties, are perfect for the construction of an interior partition. The plates are attached with screws to a pre-mounted frame of rails;
- moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard with a thickness of 12 mm can ideally replace ceiling drywall. It is much lighter and more convenient to work with than its fragile counterpart. It is used for leveling the base for the finish coating;
- the plate is indispensable for roofing work. The light weight of the sheet, high density (820 kg/m3) and moisture resistance make it possible to use the material for the device of the internal insulation layer of the “roofing pie”;
- foundation. Excellent for removable formwork for pouring at the initial stage of construction work.
Useful advice! During the installation of any structure using tongue-and-groove chipboard, all joints must be treated with a sealing material (glue, mastic, liquid nails).
Tongue-and-groove chipboard is impractical to use for the manufacture of furniture. For these purposes, you can buy chipboard for furniture, the price per sheet in this case will depend on the size and type of material. You can also order an individual chipboard cut according to the sizes that are necessary to create a specific furniture product.
The device of the rough floor using chipboard with tongue and groove
All installation work can be performed independently without the involvement of specialized workers. The work should be carried out in a clear sequence.
The first step is to lay the log with a distance that corresponds to the thickness of the chipboard sheet. For plates with a thickness of 16 mm, the pitch is 30-40 cm. If you use plates with a thickness of 22 mm, the pitch will be about 60 cm. All the voids between the logs are filled with a sealer, the gaps as a result of the unevenness of the floor are filled with sand.
Further, starting from the far opposite door of the wall, the laying of chipboard sheets begins with the help of self-tapping screws. The next sheet is inserted into the groove and fastened with screws to the logs, similar to the first plate.
Useful advice! The installation of the sheets should be carried out so that the seam between adjacent plates falls on the bars. In a narrow long room, the logs are laid across the direction of movement.
Installation of a “floating” floor
This method allows you to equip the floors using a dry screed. As a result, a multi-layered structure is obtained, which is completed by laying a tongue-and-groove chipboard. This method consists of several stages:
Installation of the material on the ceiling and walls
Installation of a sheet of tongue-and-groove chipboard on the wall is carried out using self-tapping screws in steps of 30-40 cm without the use of a crate. If you use nails, then they need to be nailed at an angle of 45 degrees.
For the installation of chipboard on the ceiling, plates with a thickness of 12 mm are used. They are attached to a pre-arranged frame made of wooden slats with the help of screws, nails, special staples. The joints of the plates must be sealed with special mastic or glue.
How much does a chipboard sheet cost: the price of the material
Moisture-resistant chipboard with tongue and groove are made in two standard sizes: 1830×600 mm and 2440×900 mm, the thickness of which can be 12, 16 and 22 mm. The price of moisture-resistant chipboard directly depends on the dimensions of the material and the thickness of the product.
Useful advice! The thickness of the material should be selected based on its further purpose. Thin material should be used for covering the ceiling or roof, and chipboard with a thickness of 22 mm is ideal for installing floors and partitions.
The price of moisture-resistant chipboard for a sheet of 2440×600 mm in size and 12 mm thick will be about 450 rubles. While the price for a chipboard sheet for furniture with a size of 2440x1830x16 mm will be 575 rubles. A plate with a size of 2440×600 of the maximum thickness can be purchased for 635 rubles. The largest plate with a size of 2440x900x22 mm will cost about 800 rubles. per sheet of the product. Moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard is used mainly in whole sheets.
Manufacturers and prices
In the modern market, the material is presented in a wide range. Each manufacturer produces products for every taste and desire of the consumer.
The most popular manufacturers of tongue -and- groove moisture-resistant chipboard are:
- «QuickDeck». Plates can be purchased from 335 rubles.;
- Stroyexpert. The price starts from 365 rubles;
- “SPHERE”. The cheapest stove will cost 410 rubles;
- “Plywood plus”. The price range starts from 380 rubles per sheet;
- “PlitTorg-S”. Prices increase from 570 rubles.
QuickDeck is one of the most popular manufacturers of waterproof plates. The products of this company are in great demand in the cities of Russia. The product is suitable for all the work mentioned above.
Feature of QuickDeck products:
- the material has a high level of wear resistance. According to the European standard EN 13229, the material has 33 operating class and AC6 abrasion class. These indicators allow the finished material not to lose its characteristics for 6 years. And this is only when using it in shopping malls, educational institutions, sports sections. For residential premises, the service life can be up to 20 years;
- according to the European standard EN 312, the material has a water resistance class of P5. This suggests that the plate has a good indicator of resistance to swelling. It will swell by only 10% after a day in the water;
- moisture-resistant chipboard with tongue-and-groove is completely environmentally safe. The material belongs to the hazard class E1, according to the European standard EN 13896. This means that the product does not emit harmful substances like natural wood;
- the surface of the material is resistant to direct UV rays;
- the material has a high fire resistance index. A missed lit match will not lead to a fire or marks on the surface;
- the plates have increased sound insulation properties. The floor made of tongue-and-groove chipboard will not creak under your feet. And partitions made of such material will provide proper heat and noise insulation;
- the coating does not require special special care. The material is able to withstand the influence of various household chemicals.
DSP: What is it? Scope of use and classification of the material
History of creation. Classification of chipboard. The scope of the material. The main differences between chipboard and other sheet materials.
Moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard: reviews of the material
Good technical characteristics and high quality of the material make it indispensable for performing many construction works. This is confirmed by numerous consumer reviews. Due to the practicality of use, many experts opt for moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard. This concerns the issue when it is necessary to carry out work in rooms with high humidity, for finishing work on the floor, ceiling and walls. Simple and easy installation can be performed by a minimum number of people without special skills, which significantly reduces the cost of repair work.
And the fact that chipboard with tongue-and-groove is used with great success in a considerable number of television projects, such as “Dacha Answer” and “Fazenda”, elevates this material to the first positions of the rating list.
The opinion of experts indicates that chipboard is a popular material in the modern construction market. For a reasonable fee, you can get a good product that has a high strength index, is able to withstand significant loads without bending or breaking. Thanks to the light tongue-and-groove connection, you can get a perfectly smooth, rigid, durable and stable base that will last for many years. Easy and quick installation will allow you to restore the structure after its possible dismantling.
Strength, durability, good appearance, significant savings in money and time when performing repair and construction work make moisture-resistant tongue-and-groove chipboard a leader in the market of budget proposals for interior decoration.